starting strength gym
Page 7 of 339 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: ColoWayno's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Missed Fridays workout
    Missed work on Saturday

I went and got some meds Saturday and spent the day sleeping in my room. I pretty much didn't eat anything solid Saturday until around 7:30PM when I had Jello, Honeydew and Toast. Can't wait to find out how much weight I've lost.

I'll go for hours feeling fine then I'll get intense abdominal cramps or nausea. Nearly puked last night before dinner but there really wasn't anything in my stomach.

So far today, Gatorade, applesauce, oatmeal and a Cappuccino.
    For lunch I managed a small burrito and an egg roll.
    For a snack I ate some Pringles
    I've downed 3 bottles of water (liters?) plus 20oz of Vitamin Water and 20oz of Gatorade. I've just started my fourth bottle of water.
    Many many trips to the latrine. I just bought 4 containers of Cottenelle's, those things are literally saving my ass.
    It's kind of fun getting to eat some things that I normally avoid... at this point I think the only thing that matters is being able to keep it down.

Last night I set a recent PR, 7 hours without running to the latrine. I think I'm past the worst. I jumped on the scale, not exactly dressed the same as usual, but I weighed 197... not too bad. Right now I plan to proceed as if nothing bad happened.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-17-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Monday (Week 3, Cycle 1)
    Weighed in at 198 lbs (only 2 pounds lost!)
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Press: 1x1x95, 1x1x110, 1x6x122.5

I just did my press then a few casual reps on my BB Complex then split. I was just glad to not miss this workout completely.

On the BB Complex I felt I had 0 explosion in my legs which has me a little bit worried about the squat today. My plan is to try to eat enough to replenish... do a long, slow warm up and go for it.

I was happy to have only lost 2 pounds... kind of amazing really. I suppose my effort to stay hydrated is what kept me inflated.

Good deal. Hopefully you've read the 5/3/1 book and realize that somedays are indeed "Jack Shit" days. Nothing wrong with that. Just focus on recovery and you'll be back quickly.

Tuesday (Week 3, Cycle 1)
    Weighed in at 200lbs
    (Sets x Reps @ Lbs)

Squat: 1x1@240, 1x1@260, 1x3@280
    Power Cleans: 10x2@115 (1 minute clock)

This wasn't exactly where I was hoping to be at this point but I'm still in the game so that's good. I tried PC's @135 and felt no explosiveness. If I've got the energy later this week I might try them again.

Thursday (Week 3, Cycle 1)
    Weighed in at 198lbs

(Sets x Reps @ Lbs)
    Bench: 1x1@165, 1x1@190, 1x4@210
    Dips: 10x2@BW on a 30 second clock
    Jog: 1.05 miles in 10 minutes.

The dips are sort of like a painful physical therapy right now, at least I hope there's some value in doing them. I'm pretty sure they aren't making anything worse. I've narrowed my grip on the bench press a bit and those don't bother my shoulder at all now.
    Jogging felt better this week.

Friday (Week 3, Cycle 1)
    Weighed in at 198lbs
    (sets x reps @ lbs)
    Deadlifts: 1x1@240, 1x1@270, 1x5x300

I think I have my breathing figured out on dead lifts which is good.

Trying to clean up my diet a bit here. I wasn't really doing well with so many meals so I'm going to try 3 meals a day plus an improved post workout meal or bedtime shake.

I have a feeling I'll lose a little weight at first until I get the intake adjusted.
    (Sunday)
    Breakfast: 4 eggs with ham and cheese
    1/3 cup of cottage cheese
    1 cup whole milk
    1 12 oz Cappuccino.
    1 Banana
    1/4 cup oatmeal

Lunch:
    Asian style beef ribs (no sauce)
    Pork (some kind of mildly sweet sauce)
    Cooked Peas + Carrots (1/2 cup)

Dinner:
    1 Whole Cornish Game Hen
    1 Piece of Meatloaf
    1 Cup Curry Veggies

These guys at the DEFAC list Fat and Protein, but never Carbs on the servings. I think I'm getting enough from breakfast and the veggies but I really don't have a good way to tell. Anyway the only carbs I'm getting after breakfast are from veggies or sauces. I'm skipping the really sweet meats like General Tsao, etc.

(Monday)
    Breakfast: 4 eggs with ham and cheese
    1/3 cup of cottage cheese
    1 cup whole milk
    2 12 oz Cappuccino.
    1 Orange

Lunch:
    Ribs
    Teriyaki Chicken
    Cooked Carrots
    Salad
    Iced tea (unsweetened)

Dinner:
    Two Chicken Breasts
    Curry Shrimp
    Curry Veggies
    Cooked Cauliflower

Post workout:
    1 cup orange juice
    2 cups lowfat milk.

Tuesday:
    Breakfast:
    4 Eggs w/ cheese (cook couldn't understand ham )
    1/3 cup cucumber slices
    1/3 cup cottage cheese w/pineapple slices
    1 cup whole milk
    1 Cappuccino.

Can't remember lunch, but I had some BBQ chicken nuggets for dinner. I couldn't finish them without scraping off the sickening sweet sauce. I really have developed a distaste for shit like this.
    I didn't log Wednesday, but I've added more veggies and/or salad to my 3 main meals and it's making a huge difference when I visit the "comfort room".

Thursday:
    Breakfast: Cucumber slices,
    4 eggs w ham&cheese,
    1 orange, bacon,
    1 cup milk, 1 Cappuccino
    Lunch: Beef
    1 deep fried mexican thingy with chicken and cheese (yep, stuff I usually avoid)
    Peas + Carrots
    Salad
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-27-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I've narrowed my grip on the bench press a bit and those don't bother my shoulder at all now.
    Jogging felt better this week.

Might have already been mentioned, but if you're having shoulder pain on bench, really tucking your shoulders BACK (and to some extent, "down")and tucking your elbows IN has helped me more than I can explain. I can feel the "right" spot to have my shoulders now, and as long as I keep my elbows from flaring out, I have very little shoulder pain while benching (knock on wood).

Thanks Jacob. Unfortunately I didn't start paying much attention to my form on BP until I started having some shoulder problems. Since I worked on that my shoulder has gotten very slowly but steadily better even though I've continued to bench. I'll keep those cues you gave me in mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday (Week 4, Cycle 1)
    (Sets x Reps @ LBS)
    Press 1x5x50, 1x5x65, 1x5x80
    BB Complex 1x29@65 on a 20 second clock.
    (1 hang clean into a full front squat, thruster press)
    Pullups/Chins 9x3@BW+10, 1x2@BW+10 (1 minute clock)

I missed a rep on my BB Complex trying to smash a @#$@%ing mosquito.
    I missed my last chin up rep due to failure. I love it when that happens.

I have a question about 5-3-1. I assume conditioning goes along as normal during recovery week? What about accessory exercises?
    I had a little extra energy for this workout and wanted to use it.

Saw some actual low bar squatting going on last night. This guy was strong as hell and had 4 wheels on the bar for 405. I had to stop and give the guy props. Asked if they power cleaned but they hadn't.

I can tell I'm in for some DOMS from those chins/pullups. Not sure how cool that is during "recovery" week but it feels pretty sweet.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-25-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Page 7 of 339 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast