starting strength gym

Thread: adding weight and how much

Default adding weight and how much

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I have been on the novice program you suggest in PP for seven weeks. I am having problems with the bench press. I started conservatively for the first workout and added 5lbs per workout for the first 3 weeks, then 2.5lbs per workout since then as I felt the last rep was getting a bit too slow. I switched from 5 to 2.5 lb jumps in the press as well at the same time. I am still comfortably adding weight to the press each workout, but the bench press I am having problems, and can only raise the weight every other workout before getting every rep complete. After making sure I was rested and eating right, I did a little better than before, getting 5/4/5 last time, but not 5/5/5. Should I experiment with adding less weight, like 1.5lb increases, or is it okay to add 2.5 lbs overy other workout, or perhaps some other option I haven't considered. Perhaps I should switch from doing pullups and chinups to doing power cleans for a while and see if that changes my recovery ability?

How much time do you rest between sets? If the press is still going up at 2.5/workout your BP should be too. And if you're doing pullups/chins every workout, that would be too much as well. Why would you think pullups/chins are a sub for cleans?

I rest about 4-6 minutes between sets. Chinups on mondays, pullups on fridays, as you suggested in PP, 2nd edition. I don't think they are a substitute for power cleans. You wrote that one can wait until a back off period is necessary for the squat to introduce power cleans... I was curious about one thing though, regarding power cleans, you said somewhere to start with 45lbs.. is that a weight for the work sets of the first power clean workout or for the warmup?

Where exactly have I said this shit?

page 162 I believe

starting strength coach development program
    This is an interesting interpretation. Have you read Basic Barbell Training? Page 289? This is, of course, the King James Version. And where precisely did I advise beginning the clean with an empty bar for work sets?