starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Built Power Rack

Default Custom Built Power Rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I found another thread where you said you had those racks in the DVD welded.
    So was the welding job itself $500 or was it $500 for material and welding?
    Where did you get your specs at?

This would be better I think than buying one. Can the thing fit thru a regular doorway?

I'm about to build my own gym out here in Bastrop and I just wanted to pick your brain.

I sure would like one of those racks. I'll buy plans from you if you would be so kind.

Later and Much RESPECT!
    K Titus
    kevin.titus@new-revolution.info

The materials and labor totaled $525, back in 2007 when steel was more expensive than it is now. I designed it, and you can find the specs on this board where I've described it before.

Default nice

I sure do appreciate it. I think I'll just copy the specs and send em to a local fab. I like supporting my local economy whenever possible.

I have a room mate who is a welder and I'm an engineer. After drafting and pricing out a few designs I found that "heavy duty" power racks can definitely be built cheaper on your own. On any type of medium duty equipment, the price of chinese steel is too competitive. So, if you're gonna do it yourself, go heavy!

I couldnt come up with anything using the search button - can somebody provide the link for the specs?

This thread has specs.

I had a standard "home type" bolt together cage made of 2" X 2" square tubing which I had owned since the early 90's. It was only about 6'10" high (I'm about 6'7") and when I got "serious" I took it to a local fabricating shop. They welded it together, welded a brace of angle iron to the floor across the front, welded on some tabs for bolting it to the floor, and made it 2' taller. Cost me about $150 for the materials and labor. I bolted it to a platform I built in our garage.

You might be able to get an unsatisfactory cage for free or very cheap from a weak friend or off Cragslist and have it altered and save some money and aggravation. Just an idea. YMMV.

Default 4" steel

4" steel channel looks like it would be tough as hell. My only question is the bottom. Are the bottom legs connected via a steel plate? And then you install the wood board ontop of the steel plate?

This is definitely the best way to go. Why pay 900+ for something that just looks pretty? Its training gear so I could give a shit less what it looks like...although I'll probably lay a nice coat of evercoat primer and some good black paint just to keep the steel from rusting over time.

I can't wait to be doing heavy squats in my own house with the radio blasting some good tunes.

I am glad to have stumbled upon Starting Strength.

The base is made of the same channel as the uprights. I'd post the file drawing here but the server won't load an autoCAD file.

Tunes are important.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The base is made of the same channel as the uprights. I'd post the file drawing here but the server won't load an autoCAD file.

Tunes are important.
    Rip,

if you send me the autoCAD file I can convert it to a pdf.

Barry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast