starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark - Books you recommend?

Default Mark - Books you recommend?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've already got everything you're selling except your new one and defying gravity.

What are your favourite strength training/coaching books in your library?

You need both of Starr's books, Brooks and Fahey, Siff's Supertraining (even if you can't read it, you need to try), Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, Gallwey's The Inner Game of Tennis, Dreschler's The Weightlifting Encyclopedia, McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet, Muscletown USA, Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary to read on the pot, and David Willoughby's The Super Athletes if you can find a copy.

Science and Practice of Strength Training by Vladimir Zatsiorsky is also an excellent one. When I can afford to I'll have to give Supertraining a read as well.

Mark, do you ever think there is a danger of information overload in some people who read too much books? A danger in that they attempt to apply too much of what they read and as a result their training is a total mishmash everything effective, combined into something completely ineffective, when they'd be much better off just doing the damned basic programme and drinking their milk?

Siff's Supertraining (even if you can't read it, you need to try)
    Haha, I got a kick out of this.

By the way, you won't be able to follow it as the material is dry but as Rip says, try. I've found the best way to utilize this book is to think of it as an encyclopedia. If you want to know more about a particular topic then look it up, but as far as reading this book from front to back it's tough.

To the original poster: I am selling two books from James Smith. The High / Low manual and the Speed development manual for non track athletes. Both are BRAND spanking new and together will cost you about 80 dollars. I'm going to be selling them for 50, PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post

Mark, do you ever think there is a danger of information overload in some people who read too much books? A danger in that they attempt to apply too much of what they read and as a result their training is a total mishmash everything effective, combined into something completely ineffective, when they'd be much better off just doing the damned basic programme and drinking their milk?
    Not from the books I mentioned, because they are not programming books.

Another book I'd add into that mix is Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook. He's got a similar philosophy to Rip and provides both a good specific program and general advice.

I have Starr's "Strongest Will Survive", what's the second, Defying Gravity? Is it helpful for someone not interested in competitions? The Amazon summary makes it sound like it's mostly geared towards preparing for powerlifting meets.

It is for all competitive lifters. Go to a meet. It will be good for your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    David Willoughby's The Super Athletes if you can find a copy.
    John Wood had some recently, $40.

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/super_athletes.html

starting strength coach development program
    Rip-

Any compellling reasons to not go with the older edition of Brooks & Fahey ($3.00 vs. $75.00+)?

Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast