starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Tendinitis?

Default Back Tendinitis?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there any such thing as back tendinitis?

I've had a sore back before and used to go to the chiro monthly, but this is different. It hurts in a V shape with the point at my sacrum and the side going up to the crest of my hip. It seems to follow the attachments of the various spinae erector muscles.

It's not terribly painful, but there's weakness that keeps me from maintaining lumbar extension in the hole when squatting with my working weight.

I was planning to work out with light weights when squatting and dead-lifting until it calms down.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Matt

I doubt seriously that back tendinitis occurs, since the tendons are actually very short -- just musculotendinous junctions. Nothing there to really inflame.

Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    Is there any such thing as back tendinitis?

I've had a sore back before and used to go to the chiro monthly, but this is different. It hurts in a V shape with the point at my sacrum and the side going up to the crest of my hip. It seems to follow the attachments of the various spinae erector muscles.

It's not terribly painful, but there's weakness that keeps me from maintaining lumbar extension in the hole when squatting with my working weight.

I was planning to work out with light weights when squatting and dead-lifting until it calms down.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Matt
    I've experienced this very thing for at least a couple of years now. It's never led to anything serious. Probably not tendinitis but could be trigger point related. Find a trigger point map online, get some tennis balls and go to town on that area, or just roll around down there 'til you find the right spot.

-Stacey

Is there such a thing as tendonitis in the back? Sure. Is that what you have? In all likelihood, no. Not enough information has been provided to make anywhere close to an accurate diagnosis, and doing so on an internet forum is not usually the best way to go about getting one...

That being said, the probability of you having tendonitis in that area of your back is very, very slim.

Travis, THANK GOD you're home.

Can someone explain to me why so many people here (including rip) go to or advocate chiro's instead of physical therapists/manual therapists and the like?

Because they are not nearly as full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because they are not nearly as full of shit.
    Let me quote:

Chiro wiki:
    'Chiropractic is a health care discipline and profession that emphasizes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the hypothesis that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system.'
    In theory -and that whats chiro's believe in- my kidney imflammation can be treated by manipulation of the right spinal joint. That sounds woo-woo to me. It's all right there with acupuncture, homeopaths and the like.

'For most of its existence, chiropractic has battled with mainstream medicine, sustained by ideas such as subluxation[12] that are not based on solid science.'
    The whole theory behind chiro is not evidence based and there is not even some biological plausibility of it working. I could go on and on, but this man does it better then I can:
    http://www.quackcast.com/page2/page2.html
    Download episodes 10 and 11.

Thanks for this bit of wisdom. It is quite helpful, and no doubt you have infinite experience in these matters. Now, get back on your tricycle and go home.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Travis, THANK GOD you're home.
    I also have been wondering what happened to Travis.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast