starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick squat question (pic included)

Default Quick squat question (pic included)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i am wondering if this position is too excess of a low bar squat

[imghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Jameshanley/lowbar.jpg/img]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ley/lowbar.jpg

Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    i am wondering if this position is too excess of a low bar squat

Yes, it is.
    Mark, could you please explain why it's too excessive? I am a long-legged, very short-torsoed person; I find a bar position that low (or near it) to be my strongest, most comfortable set up to handle heavier weights. I don't feel like I'm gonna be "jack-knifed" as when attempting heavier weights with a higher bar position.

Thanks for your reply...

~ bif ~

You could have answered that one yourself with a little more weight on the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    Mark, could you please explain why it's too excessive? I am a long-legged, very short-torsoed person; I find a bar position that low (or near it) to be my strongest, most comfortable set up to handle heavier weights. I don't feel like I'm gonna be "jack-knifed" as when attempting heavier weights with a higher bar position.

Thanks for your reply...

~ bif ~
    I'm probably full of shit, so correct me if i'm wrong. But anyways, if you put the bar lower, you reduce the lever arm formed by the weight of the bar transmitted down the back to the hips and therefore reduce torque against the lower back. This probably gives you that "more comfortable" feeling and maybe with less strain on your lower back you can push yourself harder without stressing your lower back as much therefore helping you feel "stronger".

Once again i am probably full of shit and will probably get a good smack around the head for posting something so stupid but i thought i'd give it a shot.

It does this, yes. BUT IT IS UNSTABLE THERE, YOU FOOL. IT WILL SLIDE DOWN YOUR BACK.

Is sliding down the back the only criterion for being too low? I was thinking the other day that I'm using a little lower bar position than the position from SS:BBT. It's still stable, though. I have a very long torso and such a low position seems to help me get the form correct. (I've been struggling with the knees forward hip flexor problem.)

If it's stable, it's not too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If it's stable, it's not too low.
    And there's the answer -- thanks. The bar never feels like it's sliding down my back because, unlike in the pic, I lean forward when doing low bar squats; the forward lean allows the bar to comfortably stay put. I thought perhaps you had some other physiological reason that would make such a low carry less beneficial.

BTW, were you calling me a fool in that other post? If so, you're a CURMUDGEONLY MISANTHROPE. If not, have a nice day.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks as always.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast