starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Repetition/Set Speed

Default Deadlift Repetition/Set Speed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I re-skimmed the deadlift section of SS:BBT and ran a search but did not find the answer to this question.

Is there any guidance regarding rest/reset time in between deadlift repetitions? I'll perform 1 rep, set the bar down and reset everything before performing my next pull. This time in between reps might be anywhere from 15-30 seconds. Am I losing anything, or completely F'ing up the program by not immediately pulling again once I've returned the bar to the floor?

You are doing singles in a cluster, not a real set. Technically, a set takes place without letting go of the bar.

Sort of on topic, but in regards to the same issue with powercleans. How do we know if we're doing a set of 3 rather than a cluster of 3 singles. You have to drop the weight and then reset bar, grip, foot position each rep....so i was wondering how you determine if you're actually doing the right thing (5 sets of 3)

It probably also doesn't help your grip to have to re-grip the bar every rep. When I'm doing a heavy set, my hands are clenched tight the entire time, and the grip tends to get stronger as the set progresses (to a point).

I imagine for any exercise, if you reset completely every single rep, you'd kill the fluidity and groove of the motion

Is there a limit for how long is too long between reps, assuming the grip is maintained? I noticed the other day that I was taking 4-5 breaths between reps 3, 4, and 5 and I started wondering if I was really doing several singles instead of a set of 5.

starting strength coach development program
    If you take more time to regrip and reset your position than is necessary to do it without resting, you are taking too long for it to be considered a real set.

Most exercises are reset between reps, especially if they are heavy and therefore dependent on a good starting position each rep. "Fluidity and groove of motion" is more specific to dancing.

If I'm doing a set of 20 squats, the last reps will take several breaths between them. But then, the bar didn't get any lighter so I wasn't really resting , eh? If you're stopping long enough between reps of a set of 5 deadlifts that you have time to stand up, breathe several times, talk, reset your feet, and then regrip, this is too long between reps to be considered an honest set.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 12-24-2009 at 12:26 AM.