starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend's squat form check

Default Girlfriend's squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My girlfriend is 5'3.5, 130lbs, and started as a novice with the starting strength program in February 2009. I've coached her until her form is far better than mine and I'd like to see if you see any room for improvement.
    Her best recent squat is 190x9 but I don't have that recorded.
    135x10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tA3RlYglKI
    205x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXFgHchatIo
    225x1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-zWfRDfmo

I'm 6'2 and 190lbs. I also started starting strength as a novice in February 2009. I read and reread and reread starting strength at least a dozen times before walking in with my girlfriend and hitting the weights. I used to weigh 145lbs, but then I drank a ton of milk and ate all the meat I could find and gained about 45lbs. I'm still a lanky fuck and my squat has much room for improvement.
    This is from my training session on 1-15-2010, and I needed to go deeper.
    315x10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etlsqWVSq6s
    Last edited by Blue_Steel; 01-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Yeah, she's kicking your ass on both depth and hip drive. You're about 40 lbs. too heavy in this set of 10, so back up and get it fixed. And buy her something nice for not shitcanning your skinny ass.

You lucky bastard.

You should ask your girlfriend for squat tips. That was absolute perfection! Your squats are higher than a hippy at a Phish concert.

Jesus. Keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, she's kicking your ass on both depth and hip drive. You're about 40 lbs. too heavy in this set of 10, so back up and get it fixed. And buy her something nice for not shitcanning your skinny ass.
    I'll come back in about a week and post a video of myself that doesn't suck. And as punishment for looking like the barbell was going to crush my skinny ass, I'm going out to buffet to stuff myself.

Agree with the above comments, your girlfriends technique is rock on, and I'm kinda embarassaed cos I'm only doing 110kg right now, which is 244lbs

I find that women are a lot better than men at executing technique, because guys get their egos in the way and want to lift heavy too quick.

The same is true in my muay thai training, the guys want to be tough and hit hard and progress quickly, the girls aren't so concerned about beating other people up, and really take time to practice the drills correctly, and as a result tend achieve a "high level" a lot quicker than guys.

Im going to Hijack this thread now, hope its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Steel View Post
    My girlfriend is 5'3.5, 130lbs, and started as a novice with the starting strength program in February 2009.
    Her best recent squat is 190x9
    Is there a secret to this kind of progress? Or is it quite typical of trainees on starting strength?

I started lifting about the same time with a 5x5 programme (did not know of SS) spent the whole year trying to hit modest target 1.5xBW but failed by a long shot.

People on this forum keep telling me im stalling because of diet. But ive got a decent size gut and have very large muscular thighs compared to the many stick people I see squat much more. I eat around 4000kcal a day (recently forced to calculate it for forum scrutiny) I just eat all I can whenever I can, mostly in excess of hunger demands/stomach capacity.

I am 155lb @ 5'8

I only managed 200lb x 3 as my end of year max for 2009. I had to reset many times to even get that.

I realise I have space to fill out some more if I did gallon 'o' cow juice. Which I am considering as ive been so slow in progress.

But seeing stuff like bluesteels girlfriend there confuses the hell out of me. How has she managed to nearly get 1.5bw squat for nine reps. When I am so far away from doing it for one?

Is it individual genetics or more to do with the starting strength programming, could it possibly be the outside chance of women being more flexible and able to get a tighter back arch and therefore hip drive?

You have seen a video of me squatting Coach, and you said it wasnt bad, but not the best. The depth and 'knees out' is better than blue steels.

I have started your programme now in any case. Books are in the mail. I have very much enjoyed reading all your articles so far.

If you could provide some encouragement or tips in excess of "stop being such a pussy" It would be awesome.

Thank you.

Get that girl some lifting shoes!

starting strength coach development program
    Dear god. How did you get a girl that hot? And then how on earth did you get her to squat? Commendable my friend.

Also, we should check her deadlift form, never can be too sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast