starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back rounding on deadlift - acceptable or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yeah i'm still deadlifting twice a week, then once the next week.

I know, it's just i can't microload 2kg. I have a pair of 0.5kg and 0.25kg collars, so i can only not do 2kg increases. I try my best to avoid doing weights where i need to end up using my coin bags. I should really find a better way to microload.

I think you should switch to once a week then, but with higher increases (2.5kg or 5kg.)

There really is no reason to microload the deadlift. At all. I don't even think you should be doing 2.5kg jumps as a novice. I put this to Rip as well, and he agreed it's better to take 5kg jumps less frequently than 2.5kg jumps more frequently.

Just do 5kg once a week for as long as you can, then drop to 2.5kg once a week or 5kg every other week.

Just out of interest though, why would you not microload the deadlift unlike all the other lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Just out of interest though, why would you not microload the deadlift unlike all the other lifts?
    This is how I put it to Rip:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...7758#post97758

Hmm so Ripp's explanation is that deadlift stress is more profound. So i guess it's because it's harder to recover from and therefore better to space it out with a larger increase in weight. The thing is i'm not sure i'll be able to increase 5kg every week let alone 2.5kg. But if i did switch it to once a week, how would that change my workout schedule. Would i alternate between deadlifts and....?

Have you PP yet?

This is what I'm doing at the moment:

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Dips
    Chins

Wednesday
    Light Squat 2x5
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Power Cleans
    Pull-ups
    But you can tweak the extra assistance stuff how you like.

Yeah i got PP. So are you currently doing 3 sets to failure for pullups and chins? Or 3x5 or what?

And if i can't exactly do dips seeing as i don't have dip bars, do i just skip it or need to replace?

For dips, you could use two chairs or something else, but the dips aren't in PP, they're Sami's own addition.

Instead of deadlifts you could work more on your power cleans or do chin-ups/pull-ups with the bar set high in your power rack, legs raised. Or would that not be possible with your model?

starting strength coach development program
    I have a chinup/pullup bar so i can do them (i'm currently alternating between chins and pulls on the days i do deadlifts). Just don't have dip bars, or a GHR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast