starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nisora's injured, not down or out (but gettin' yoked) training log

Default nisora's injured, not down or out (but gettin' yoked) training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's the full story here: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...9&postcount=12

...stress fracture that went south.

So I feel like this is a good excuse to indulge in some "guilty pleasure" exercises in addition to whatever other strength work I can manage. Here's to gettin' fuckin' yoked, bitches!

4/28/10

Seated press - 95 lbs. X 1,2,3 rep ladder X 4 sets, 60 sec.rest between each "rung" (this is a whole different beast from it's standing counterpart, felt unsure of myself)
    Hip extension on glute/ham raise - 35 lbs. X 8 reps X 3 sets, 2 min. rest between sets
    Chin-up - 6 reps X 4 sets, 3 min. rest between sets
    Straight-legged sit-up - 30 lbs. X 8 reps X 3 sets, 2 min. break between sets

My shoulders are sore inside from being on crutches the last few days. My right hip is sore over the trochanter due to having to support myself on one leg; knee is also giving me fits on that side. This sucks worse than I imagined it would.

Friday, I fully plan on adding heavy shrugs and *gasp* bicep curls to the end of my workout, haters be damned.

http://elitefts.com/images/PICTURES/yoke.jpg

-S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 04-28-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Also could be a perfect time for some grip work. Get some CoC's and go to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Yesiree.

Wink

I want to get injured to same way so I can do the same exercises :P

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Stace, remember I've got the CoC No. 1. It's time I bought the No. 2 if you want to borrow mine for a while.

4/30/10

Seated press - 125 lbs. X 1 rep X 3 sets, 4 min. break between sets
    (Left rotator cuff felt FUCKED, don't know if that's because I've been on crutches or because I've racked up so much pressing volume this week)
    Hip extension on glute/ham raise - 35 lbs. X 8 reps X 2 sets, 10 reps X 2 sets, 2 min. break between sets
    Chin-up - 6 reps X 4 sets, 4 min. break between sets
    Straight-legged sit-up - 35 lbs. X 10 reps X 3 sets, 1 min. break between sets

Last edited by nisora33; 04-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Default Letting the anger flow through me, part one...

5/03/10

The owner of the gym where I work has closed the gym today due to the massive flooding and piss-poor road conditions coming out of the Armageddon-type storms that blew through Middle Tennessee this weekend. So I’ve got nowhere to train, which means I’ll have to wait ‘til tomorrow to get my hands dirty.

And anyway, turns out this log’s gonna be pretty boring because of my condition. So I might as well keep detailed notes on my metatarsal fracture, so that anyone else who finds himself in this situation might get some use out of it.

Jones fractures are rare. It’s like you have to try to get them, to get them. I’m either really unlucky or fucking retarded, don’t know. They’re located at the proximal end of the 5<sup>th</sup> metatarsal and they have poor blood supply. Reports from around the internet find people still battling to get them healed even after 8 to 12 weeks. I mean, Holy Fucking Shit. I won the asshole lottery, for sure.

I’m not waiting 12 weeks for this shit to heal. Unh-uh. If it’s not showing signs of healing in another couple of weeks—I mean mutant-healing-factor level recovery—I'm making them put a screw in it...

Default Letting the anger flow through me, part two.

Damned strange thing is that it never swelled significantly or turned funny colors after the fact. Probably has to do with the poor blood supply there. I figure that’s not actually a good thing, since you want some swelling, since that’s a sign that your body’s initiating the proper breakdown and rebuilding processes. Well, oops.

Most of the stiffness has disappeared after a little over a week, but the pain of the fracture is alive and well every time I bump my foot on something. I’m actively engaging in plantar-flexion and dorsa-flexion to pump blood into injured area on a regular basis, and I’m able to wiggle my pinkie toe without much discomfort. Weight-bearing is almost certainly out of the question.

And I’m not wearing that poor excuse for proper medical care that is a boot because the way the damned thing straps, it puts awkward lines of pressure against the fracture, hurting it even more. I’m not weight-bearing anyway, so what difference does it make? And when I get back to bearing weight on that side, it’ll be on flat, secure surfaces anyway, with the assistance of crutches.

Christ, doctors are useless, unless they have a medication that you need or you need one of them to cut on you. I stand by that statement.

S.

starting strength coach development program
    5/04/2010

Seated press - 90 lbs. X 1,3,5 rep "ladder" X 4 sets, 60 sec. rest between "rungs"
    (shoulder felt lots better, although left side of neck is giving me fits--nothing major, probably just a degenerating cervical disc, right? Fairly swift bar speed today)

Hip extension on glute-ham developer - 40 lbs. X 8 reps X 3 sets, 2 min. rest between sets (fawkin foot hurt doing these, even though I didn't press it against anything)

Chin-up - 6 reps X 4 sets, 4 min. break between sets

Bent-knee sit-up - 35 lbs. X 10 reps X 3 sets, 2 min rest between sets

Okay so the foot, surprisingly enough, actually felt pretty good today. On the injured side, I was able to bear weight partially, so I spent some time--with the assitance of crutches--moving around the gym today after my workout was done. If this keeps up, I should be able to spend more and more time on that foot getting loaded with more and more weight as time goes on. I don't know, we'll see what the x-ray says next Thursday when I show up for my follow-up.
    Last edited by nisora33; 05-06-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast