starting strength gym

Thread: Working a more physical job = bad?

Default Working a more physical job = bad?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coach, I have a question about working a more physical job. I'm 16, and just about to do SS (well, restart it at least) and im looking for a warehouse job. The thing is, im not sure if this would hurt my progress. The most important thing in my life right now is to get strong, so a lot of decisions I make will be based on that.

Right now I work at a department store where I stand all day, doing nothing. Would getting a job where I have to lift, push, pull, carry, etc. be bad for my progression? I would more than likely work on the off days. Any advice?

I mowed yards in North Texas in the summer while I was competing as a powerlifter. If you can't train and work in a warehouse at the same time, you probably have ovarian cancer. Consult your gynecologist.

Default sweet 16

I know very little about lifting, but I remember quite a lot about being 16. As long as you're eating and sleeping as much as humanly possible, there is nothing on Earth that you can't do.

I work as a plant breeder/gardener. I have experienced that when I train during a few weeks holiday that I don't recover any faster than when I worked hard and coming home tired. On these days the training feels even better.
    It's all in your head.
    A human body can do a lot more than we are used in this century.
    But really for me it is an advantage having a labor job and training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I mowed yards in North Texas in the summer while I was competing as a powerlifter. If you can't train and work in a warehouse at the same time, you probably have ovarian cancer. Consult your gynecologist.
    LOL Love it

I think simple HARD work is one of the large factors in the amount of pansy's or the decrease in great lifter, strong people in mind and body. Working a hard labor job will do a TON to toughen you up in body and mind which will aid your goals. You just got o eat for it.