starting strength gym

Thread: training up to a meet

Default training up to a meet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark

My first meet is about 7 weeks out. I plan on doing rest and active recovery for the final week, and hitting my openers on week 6. I am using the Texas Method.

I have a few questions about this.

Is there anything else I should alter as far as training? I have already decided to focus on the Bench press each week, eliminating any tough overhead work. Should I do presses on light wednesday, or would something bench related be more beneficial?

Lifters will be wearing knee wraps, which I have never used before but plan on purchasing. Should I add these into my workouts as soon as possible in order to get used to them?

Thanks for the advice. I read your interview on Elitefts which touched briefly on powerlifting gear.

I think it's a mistake to take that long a taper before your first meet. I don't think you're so overtrained that you need that much rest before you lift, so I'd have you do your openers on Tuesday before the Saturday meet. Anything you use as equipment in the meet needs to be vary familiar to you, so you have to train with it at least 2-3 weeks before the meet. And I'd press heavy up until 3 weeks out, then cut it out altogether until the meet.

thank you for the reply.

Any idea, maybe a general range, about what kind of carryover the knee wraps should provide?

That depends on how tight they are and how good you are at using them. You will see soon.